Monday 31 December 2012

Day 0: From the city of dreams to the Maratha capital

   The journey started on a lazy Friday evening with the sort of delays expected from a Kingfisher Airlines flight. A journey supposed to start around 7 pm to make use of the last remnants of sunlight ended up starting  past 9 pm. The days trip was supposed to be from the home of the car in a cosy suburb to the north of Mumbai to the IT park at Magarpatta located a bit west of Pune. I will be attaching pics of each days journey throughout the blog.
   The delays started with the overcrowded locals along one of the Mumbai's lifelines running a bit late. This was followed by the discovery that the car was covered by a thick layer of dust and grime due to quite some time of disuse. The cleaning of the car to make it just fit enough for driving did take a some time though it only involved cleaning all the windows. After battling through the layers of dust to make the front and back windshields transparent enough, I set off. The car was low on fuel and some of the tires also seemed a bit sad. So a long trip to a petrol pump to fill her belly up with petrol and her tires up with air coupled with  the fact that one of the tires had multiple punctures further added to the delays.
Mumbai Pune Expressway
     I turned on Google Navigation ( a friend to be relied upon for large parts of the trip) to my destination and set of with a great smile on my face. After some boring driving on some crappy potholed roads, I finally reached one of the most beautiful roads in India pictured above, the Mumbai Pune Expressway. This road is fun to drive on and an ideal place to test the top speed of your car. It was great fun racing along the expressway at 120 kmph and reaching a top speed of 160 kmph( The speedometer of the Alto only goes upto 180 kmph so I was amazed that the car was able to reach this speed(my personal best)). The fact that the roads are lined with reflectors everywhere and were only sparsely populated by traffic was indeed a welcome relief.
   After the exhilarating drive on the Expressway which involved some of the fastest driving I have done in my life, I reached Pune city and finally Magarpatta city at midnight. I was happy with the cars performance and looking forward to a well deserved rest and the eventful road trip ahead.
Day 0 route

No comments:

Post a Comment